WordPress Engineer (remote)
Looking to build beautiful and meaningful websites for organizations that matter?
Great Believer is a design agency for nonprofits with a focus on building WordPress websites. We’ve recently launched intuitive, inspiring websites for The Global FoodBanking Network, The JED Foundation, DREAM and Family Legal Care.
We’re looking for a reliable, detail-oriented and ambitious WordPress Engineer to join our team. In this full-time role, you’ll manage and maintain a range of nonprofit websites – altogether playing a major role in the success of many organizations.
- Join a development team that spends its days building user-friendly websites for amazing nonprofits
- Integrate with a highly cooperative, supportive and good-humored dev team
- Regularly collaborate with your fellow devs to build and improve GB’s in-house starter theme and foundational development operations
- Earn a salary in the $70,000–$80,000 range, plus get access to an array of other benefits including healthcare, paid time off and professional development
- Enjoy other wellness-focused activities, like mental health days, yoga, book club and game nights
- Work fully remote with a nationwide team that stays in touch by Slack, Zoom and Asana
- Help manage and maintain websites for a growing list of clients
- Collaborate with the accounts team to handle requests for maintenance and site updates
- Take client and team meetings as GB’s development representative, offering your expertise and advice
- Collaborate with the full development team to plan, build and maintain Great Believer’s in-house starter theme.
- Devise clever and effective CSS/SASS solutions for unique design ideas
- Strategize with our design team to create distinctive, user-friendly and functional websites
- Build stable and responsive JS for interactive and dynamic pages
- Work alongside our wider network of web developers to keep all projects running smoothly
- Stay on top of the latest trends in nonprofit technology, including donation systems, email-blast platforms and job portals
- Create and maintain a well-documented codebase across dozens of sites
- 3+ years of WordPress experience, including a solid understanding of PHP/MySQL, core WordPress functions, custom themes, custom post types and effective plugins
- Comply with coding standards, complement code already in-use, and configure to your style where meaningful
- Fluency and experience in creating local, workable versions of WordPress sites across a variety of build tools
- A love of troubleshooting and comfort with the process of bug-hunting
- Fluency and ease when communicating technical language to clients and team members
- A strong sense of best coding practices, as per the WordPress Codex
- Precise attention to detail in reviewing and implementing designs
- A keen eye for building with crisp, scalable, optimized design assets
- Extensive experience working with ACF for CMS customizations
- Experience working with Sass as a primary tool for CSS
- A deep joy of learning and verve for implementing well-vetted code
Bonus points if you have the following experience
- Designing for web or for print – we’d love to see your portfolio!
- Building custom WordPress themes from scratch
- Using GSAP animation
- Handling basic command line navigation
- Implementing WCAG accessibility standards
- Building or maintaining your own starter theme
- Coding with Frameworking Tools like Bulma, Tailwind and Django
- Coding inside Twig/Timber
- Doing dedicated UI/UX work
- Doing work for nonprofits and/or campaigns-driven organizations
- Working with a small and mighty team
Our core values
- Come as you are: We celebrate everyone’s unique interests and perspectives.
- Great creative: We flex our creative muscles until the end product strikes the right chord.
- Play nice: We form the strongest relationships when our hearts are in the right place.
- Love the learn: We’ve made professional development an essential part of the formula.
- Band together: We’ve seen monumental change when we work toward a common goal.
Benefits and company policy
- All full-time employees are eligible for a flexible paid time off policy, flexible work hours, subsidized benefits (medical, dental, vision and life), a 401k program, annual professional development and charity matching.
- The expected salary for this position is $70,000–$80,000, contingent on expertise and experience.
- Great Believer is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive team with a range of unique perspectives. We strongly encourage candidates who identify as people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ and/or gender non-conforming to apply.